What’s better than eating chocolate for breakfast? Hmm? I’ll tell you – eating a nutritious, healthy chocolate breakfast, that’s what.
I’m a big advocate of eating breakfast. Some people like to skip it. Whatever. Evidence shows that skipping breakfast is self-sabotage and unhealthy, but that’s not what I’m here to talk about. I’m here to talk about chocolate for breakfast. Did you hear me?! Chocolate. For. Breakfast.
I’ve been making this recipe for years. I knew that once I started this blog that this would be the first recipe I would post because a.) it’s so good and b.) it’s healthy. It’s my go-to breakfast for when I need a comforting, warm meal but also want to stay healthy. Often times, I add sliced banana to this oatmeal when it is done cooking. This breakfast is satiating and leaves me content. Because… honestly, when is chocolate not satisfying?
Don’t skip the sea salt. Seriously, the salt emphasizes the sweetness and adds depth. It is much easier to incorporate all of the ingredients if you add all of the dry ingredients initially. Otherwise, you’ll make a mess trying to incorporate the unsweetened cocoa to the almond milk.
Gather your oats. You’ll want to use quick oats.
In a larger bowl, add the dry ingredients.
Then the oats.
Mix all the dry ingredients together until they almost look like no-bake cookies.
Add your preferred kind of milk. I fancy protein almond milk.
Gently mix, unless you’d like a big mess to clean up, and nuke it.
5 minPrep Time
2 minCook Time
7 minTotal Time
- ½ cup quick oats
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. Stevia
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- ½-1 cup almond milk (depending on how thick/runny you like your oats)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 sliced banana (optional)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, mix oats and all dry ingredients.
- Next add almond milk and vanilla extract. Gently mix everything until the mixture is well-incorporated.
- Place bowl in microwave. Heat the oats for at least 1 minute.
- Remove bowl from microwave and mix again. Depending on your microwave, you may want to heat it for an additional 20 seconds.
- Add sliced banana and enjoy.